I know after losing my job, my home and my stuff in 2006, I had lots of stuff to work on forgiving myself for. It literally took years for me to work through it all. After all, my wife and kids were paying the price for my selfishness, pride and stupidity. I didn't think I would ever truly recover from the mistakes. The struggle was in the fact that I did not truly believe all God promised to me in the Bible, the parts where He said I was 100% forgiven, for EVERYTHING!
- How is it possible to forgive ourselves when we see the trail of destruction we leave behind?
- How can we be forgiven if we see the people we have hurt along the way?
- How do you forgive yourself????
Here is what God’s Word Says
1 John 3:19-21 “By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him; for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything. Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God;”
- We must learn to trust and believe the Bible and it’s promises about who God is……
- When our own hearts start to make us feel condemned and like a failure…. Remember God is BIGGER than our hearts!
- God knows everything…and He still gives us a place of confidence before Him. That's simply amazing to me
- If God can know all my junk and still forgive me…I've got every reason be confident before Him.
For me, forgiving myself came from accepting and believing these very thing about God. Then applying it to myself by realizing, if God can forgive me like this, than I can forgive myself!
We are able to forgive ourselves and others in the same measure by which we accept our true forgiveness from God! If you can't accept how God has forgiven you, then you won't be able to forgive yourself! The peace we desire rests in believing the truth that God loves us no matter what!